Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vehicle flagpole problem solved

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Vehicle flagpole problem solved Empty
PostSubject: Vehicle flagpole problem solved   Vehicle flagpole problem solved Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2007 6:01 am

Not just for Landy Rally, but over the years what to use for a vehicle flagpole has always proved a problem. The problem's always been ...

a) It has to be demountable or it'll get nicked

b) It has to be mounted to the rear of the vehicle (big flags on the front bumper don't work as they blind the driver - not helpful)

c) It has to be extendable as a 10ft pole can't fit in the vehicle for transportation

d) The only telescopic poles I've found are either cheap flimsy poles, far too fragile to accept a large flag, or stronger yet very pricey versions as they are made out of good quality aluminium so you pay for the privilege

So, what to do? At long last I have found the solution - not one, but two poles capable of accepting 5' x 3' flags, and even more for smaller flags! B & Q have in stock a range of extendable and telescopic poles designed for painting ceilings and such like, so can obviously be found in the paint department. Made by Harris no less, a well know make in painting circles, they retail from £12.68 for the Harris Performance Pozlok Extension Pole (extends 1.9m to 3.3m) up to £14.98 for a massive Harris Performance Extension Pole extending to 5m!

I went for the 3m version, again for rigidity to take a large flag. This is a 6ft fibreglass outer pole (the section that I’ll fix to the Rangie by means of 28mm copper U–shaped clips bought from the plumbing department – this will do until I find a better method) with a strong extending alloy inner pole that extends via a simple yet effective push-button & locking pin system. Loosen off the cooper clips and it instantly becomes demountable, and at 1.3m long it’s also transportable. EASY AND AMAZINGLY VERY CHEAP!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle flagpole problem solved   Vehicle flagpole problem solved Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 8:20 am

Very ingenious! :alien:

We're using a clothes line prop, which has had a number of uses over the years, including to hang a Tilly lamp off the back of the landy whilst camping!

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
rooftop

rooftop

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle flagpole problem solved   Vehicle flagpole problem solved Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 1:44 pm

my co drivers going to fly a flag with a difference first to name country of origin gets a beer or pop depends if driving or not our national flag on the other hand will be permantlly up front as youl see Wink Wink i think we use an old fishing rod on the club stand fastened to the rear ladder for our flag though andy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle flagpole problem solved   Vehicle flagpole problem solved Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 pm

Just bought two 5' x 3' Union Jacks (you call them Union flags, I'll call them 'Jacks') off ebay for £4.99 ... postage free! Now that's cheap.
Back to top Go down
ardvark2345

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Flags flying on the roof   Vehicle flagpole problem solved Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 12:45 pm

I had the genious idea of flying the flag from the cb aerial.........one test drive later and its now going flat on the roof.

Its a WWII vintage flag and I dont hold out much hope for it lasting a couple of thousand miles through jonny foreigner territory....I do have lots of spare flags though if anyone loses theirs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle flagpole problem solved   Vehicle flagpole problem solved Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vehicle flagpole problem solved
Page 1 of 1