Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Finally have a landy!

Go down 
+9
theshortwayround
Sylvia Johnson
bofa bill
LuckyTrucker
Badger
VentureOverland
Tom Mc
Keith Johnson
andybloke
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Finally have a landy! Empty
PostSubject: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 12:32 pm

Needs some work, but meet Red:

Finally have a landy! Red

Needs a service, shocks and a steering damper ... probably more. Only had a quick look so far, but I'm a bit closer to actually being in the rally again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 12:34 pm

WAHOOO cheers lol!

looks brilliant,

i wont show pinky a pick it might go red Laughing not that landys have feelings but they only brake when you do something wrong to them scratch

best of luck with red :cherry:
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 12:37 pm

Congratulations - good to see, hopefully it doesn't need too much work. I know I am probably stating the obvious but wouldn't a better name be Green Greeny?
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:09 pm

Why Red - or am I missing something? Gilbert more like, as in Green Gil ........ Razz

Far too shiny (get some mud on it) and not a Range Rover (no taste), but apart from that pleased you're mobile again.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 4:34 pm

Keith Johnson wrote:
Congratulations - good to see, hopefully it doesn't need too much work. I know I am probably stating the obvious but wouldn't a better name be Green Greeny?

Why would I want to call a green car Green?

Tom Mc wrote:
Why Red - or am I missing something?

You might be missing something - I've not checked Laughing
Kieran didn't have to go through this when he named a red landy Pinky...

Tom Mc also wrote:
Far too shiny (get some mud on it) and not a Range Rover (no taste), but apart from that pleased you're mobile again.

It's more like a Rangie than a Defender.... Which hannaH likes - she can get in it without steps, and "It's not one of the boxy ones - it looks like a car". She even sounded slightly disapointed when I said she couldn't drive it until I'd fixed the steering. Not bad going, considering I wasn't supposed to bring it home until I'd made space for it. (p.s. Anyone want an M reg Rover 214? Needs some work, but there's a new alternator, radiator, valves, clutch, gaskets, head bolts and cvj boots on the back seat, plus some other bits and a Haynes manual, but it only really needs the rad changing).

Unfortunately, Samantha (The big offroad bike (big and bouncy, you figure the name out)) won't fit in the back without fitting in the front (where the gearstick is) at the same time, so I'll not be taking that to Val d'Isere, which is a shame.

Ho hum. Small steps.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Quote :
Why would I want to call a green car Green?
'cause it's green! Nah, fair enough - "red" it is!!!

Quote :
Kieran didn't have to go through this when he named a red landy Pinky
'cause it made sense. It's paintwork has faded so badly it isn't a wine red colour anymore, it's matt finish is more of a rose/pinkish kinda colour. Besides, Kieran goes bright pink every time the dashboard starts smoking.

Disco looks okay actually, even though it's not a patch on a Rangie. Still, we can't all have impeccable taste like yours truly. Wink

As for an M reg Rover 214, play your cards right and you should get £30 when they haul it away. Mmmmm, the Disco's looking better all the time! Razz
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:44 am

andybloke wrote:
Needs some work, but meet Red:

Finally have a landy! Red

Needs a service, shocks and a steering damper ... probably more. Only had a quick look so far, but I'm a bit closer to actually being in the rally again!

Cool, well done. That'll be a 200Tdi on a K plate isn't it, or has it had something else (V8??) dropped in it?

If it doesnt leak oil all over (I know its a LR, but some dont), then I would recommend you treat it to some difflock oils - excellent stuff, especially the stuff in the gearbox and T/Box.

Not pushing products but Id recommend some Monroe / Bilstein gas shocks. Good value for money. As for steering dampers, throw anything on and throw away the big heavy metal lump that will no doubt fall on your head when you remove the old one!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:49 am

VentureOverland wrote:

Cool, well done. That'll be a 200Tdi on a K plate isn't it, or has it had something else (V8??) dropped in it?

If it doesnt leak oil all over (I know its a LR, but some dont), then I would recommend you treat it to some difflock oils - excellent stuff, especially the stuff in the gearbox and T/Box.

Yeah, 200 tdi ... with some water jacket plugs missing, apparently.

Noticed the water level had dropped again (having topped it up yesterday), so topped it up again with the engine running, and most of the water came back out of the large hole in the side of the engine. Grrrr!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 10:54 am

Quote :
Noticed the water level had dropped again (having topped it up yesterday), so topped it up again with the engine running, and most of the water came back out of the large hole in the side of the engine. Grrrr!

Gaffa tape? Laughing
Quote :
Kieran didn't have to go through this when he named a red landy Pinky...

ive been through it enough times with people at school who cant seem to notice the faded paint work, cant think what else they would be thinking about with the name pinky scratch
plus its bad luck to change the name of a ship Wink the handleing is modelled perectly on the Queen Mary,

i wouldnt bother putting any expensive oils in the transfer box it yours leaks like mine does or you will have pikeys scraping the driveway for the oil Laughing

oh and with the high scrap value for metal if you cant sell the rover, weigh it in Smile

best of luck with reds troubles

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Don't feel picked on, Kieran has consistently had jokes made about his Pinky, a bit unfair in many ways since it was the previous owner who first called it that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:27 am

I got some new core plugs, and managed to drift one of them in ... need to take off the fuel pump, a couple of injector pipes, something I've not identified yet and the turbocharger to get the other two in.

Unfortunately house rules state that I have to plaster the bathroom before I'm allowed to do any work on the land rover this weekend, so it'll probably snow on Sunday.

(And I'm so glad I've got one of those magnet-on-a-stick things for retreiving core plugs from under the engine)
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 4:21 pm

They also work well retriving steel nuts/bolts from within alloy V8 engines - been there, got the t-shirt! Nowadays plenty of rag stuffed into open holes is second nature, saves a lot of grief.

Loads of lovely snow predicted for Sunday and youll be getting plastered in the bathroom - rotten luck mate! Sad
Back to top Go down
Badger

Badger

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Weird!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:12 am

Green car called red?

In Australia there are basically 2 types of cattle dogs - Blue Heelers and Red Heelers - I reckon 75% of all red Heelers are called BLue and Blue ones called Red!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 8:25 am

Badger wrote:
In Australia there are basically 2 types of cattle dogs - Blue Heelers and Red Heelers - I reckon 75% of all red Heelers are called BLue and Blue ones called Red!

hannaH, who's got Aussie friends, and spent a while in Australia, didn't believe me when I said Aussies would understand.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 3:05 pm

Now I get it. Badger's explanation makes perfect sense, must be the Paddy in me! Laughing
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Hi Andy, if you have to take the fuel pump off to do the core plug just take care in re-setting the timing. It may take a couple of attemtpts to get it right but if it sounds right and doesn't smoke any more than it already did then it's right. Very Happy Oh ! and congartulations on your purchase of Solihull's finest. Some say the savior of the Green Oval others say the thinking mans Defender. I just like Discos bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 2:01 am

LuckyTrucker wrote:
Hi Andy, if you have to take the fuel pump off to do the core plug just take care in re-setting the timing. It may take a couple of attemtpts to get it right but if it sounds right and doesn't smoke any more than it already did then it's right. Very Happy Oh ! and congartulations on your purchase of Solihull's finest. Some say the savior of the Green Oval others say the thinking mans Defender. I just like Discos bounce

Thanks. I think I may have found a way to get that plug in without removing the fuel pump, but still need to take the turbo off Sad

I also tried blowing water mist into one of the holes with compressed air, which unfortunately confitrmed that one of the core plugs on the back of the engine, right up against the bulkhead, has also popped out. Mad
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 3:36 am

The only core about my latest acquisition is the COR!!! factor as I bury my foot into the Rangie's plush carpet and all 3,900cc of throbbing V8 kick in and accelerate me past the plebs in their Euroblob tin cans ... and all for 53p a litre! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 4:37 am

need i mention this picture about range rovers?
Finally have a landy! Img_5110

Laughing sorry
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 4:48 am

Opps! Embarassed

Well, like they say - "If you haven't been stuck at least once during the day, you haven't been trying hard enough!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 4:53 am

you wernt stuck were you? you were just testing the limets Laughing

Quote :
"If you haven't been stuck at least once during the day, you haven't been trying hard enough!"

couldnt agree more cheers
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:26 am

Tom Mc wrote:
The only core about my latest acquisition is the COR!!! factor as I bury my foot into the Rangie's plush carpet and all 3,900cc of throbbing V8 kick in and accelerate me past the plebs in their Euroblob tin cans ... and all for 53p a litre! Twisted Evil

Size isn't everything, Tom.

53p/litre sounds good, but for my 111p/litre I also get to see "142mpg" on the computer display in my 106bhp, 1.9L diesel, eurolump van Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 12:32 pm

OH YES IT IS!

Seriously, how many mpg can you get out of a 1.9 diesel Disco? I can get 170 miles out of a tank(s) full of gas, and it costs just £30 to fill them.

Worked it out the Rangie is returning 20mpg 'normal' driving i.e. a mixture of town and motoway at 70-85 mph, so @ 53p per litre (half the cost of Diesel/petrol) that's the equivalent of over 40 mpg!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Good to hear you've gassed it Tom. You will have a few more beer tokens in your pocket then. drunken Diesel Disco on a good day, and I mean a very good day 32mpg. On a bad day 24mpg but I know what I would rather have. I just luuuuurve the soundtrack from a V8 Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:23 pm

talking fuel consumption, i thought i would add that im getting a simular price to tom, using used cooking oil, i get it for free and run about a 50/50 mix and get about 20 mpg at the moment which is equivilant to about 55p per litre cheers
get the added bonus of the smell Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally have a landy!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next