Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Finally have a landy!

Go down 
+9
theshortwayround
Sylvia Johnson
bofa bill
LuckyTrucker
Badger
VentureOverland
Tom Mc
Keith Johnson
andybloke
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 5:41 pm

I realise some 'bio fuel' Landies smell like a chip shop, but guessing where your supply originates, Pinky must smell like a Lamb Rogan Josh with side portion of Bhindi Bajhi! Laughing Wink

V8 burble rules!!!
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 6:34 pm

and after the first neet of sleepwaing my 'K' will be farting like a vindaloo
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 5:43 am

Laughing it stinks to high hell of onions Laughing

bill me n you are going to eat the hottest curry the french sell lol! so fried snails with lettuce and frogs legs sauce
yum yum
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 5:46 am

Thats no exactly what I haid in mind for you 'K'.
It will be a belated birthday pressie to make ye into a real man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 5:48 am

im a real man now affraid
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:13 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Seriously, how many mpg can you get out of a 1.9 diesel Disco? I can get 170 miles out of a tank(s) full of gas, and it costs just £30 to fill them.

No idea. The disco's a 2.5.

The blue van I took to Abingdon will do about 300 to 360 miles on £30 of dino-diesel (motorway and town), so I'll be driving that a lot more than the landy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Sylvia Johnson

Sylvia Johnson

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Andybloke - pleased to hear you finally have found a landy.

[quote]It's more like a Rangie than a Defender.... Which hannaH likes - she can get in it without steps

Warning Hannah - I spent all of landy rally last year struggling to get into Pinky so was really pleased with the arrival of Lenny the disco - I could get into this one without a step required. My joy was shortlived though. Mr mender man decided a suspension lift was required and now Lenny needs a step as well as Pinky. So Hannah don't let Andybloke add a suspension lift to RED.!!!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 8:24 am

VentureOverland wrote:
Not pushing products but Id recommend some Monroe / Bilstein gas shocks. Good value for money. As for steering dampers, throw anything on and throw away the big heavy metal lump that will no doubt fall on your head when you remove the old one!!!

Pro-comp steering damper fitted, as the De Carbon I was after was out of stock.
Was looking at De Carbon (if I was feeling rich) or Monroe all 'round for the shocks. No lift. Will be sandblasting and repainting the springs as they look sound. The Bilstein's are out of my budget. Is it worth going for the De Carbon over Monroe?

Sylvia wrote:
I could get into this one without a step required. My joy was shortlived though. Mr mender man decided a suspension lift was required and now Lenny needs a step as well as Pinky.

No ... I don't like suspension lifts. Low CG's good.

Still trying to get shot of that Rover 214. The council have dug the street up, so there's nowhere to park.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230241688101 if anyone wants a 1.4 K16 engine for a lightweight!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 am

In essence, De Carbon's are Bilstein. Of what i remember, back in the 1980's the two brothers who ran Bilstein had a falling out, resulting in one of them going solo and starting up De Carbon - more or less same design, etc. only a whole lot cheaper! Never heard a bad thing said about De Carbon, and as bad news travels fast, this has to be a good thing.

I used Monroe gas shocks on the Paris-Dakar Rally (Range Rover Classic - 8 shocks!) Not bad but given my time over again I would definitely go for the De Carbon's.
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 9:20 am

Tom Mc wrote:
I used Monroe gas shocks on the Paris-Dakar Rally (Range Rover Classic - 8 shocks!) Not bad but given my time over again I would definitely go for the De Carbon's.

Ta. Noted.
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 am

Hello mate, Glad to see you've aquired a Disco, it's a greast bit of kit!

Suggestion, if taking out the turbo, and if you remove the manifolds, you can get from agrimach heat bandaging stuff wo wrap it all in, reduces the under bonnet temps by around 50% (they claim 70%) but whilst you've got the stuff off it makes it much easier.
I know a guy who did it, and found it was a great improvment, and it's on my list of things to do.

Is the Rover T&T? If so, how much?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 1:13 am

theshortwayround wrote:
Suggestion, if taking out the turbo, and if you remove the manifolds, you can get from agrimach heat bandaging stuff wo wrap it all in, reduces the under bonnet temps by around 50% (they claim 70%) but whilst you've got the stuff off it makes it much easier.
I know a guy who did it, and found it was a great improvment, and it's on my list of things to do.

Yes, I've got a roll of kevlar in the shed for wrapping exhaust pipework. Did the van a couple of years ago, as the downpipe ran past the intercooler and inlet manifold pipework. One thing I have noticed is that when it gets wet, it pops and crackles a lot, so is probably increasing the rate of corrosion considerably. Also have some high temperature aluminium paint to use on the cold air pipes on the landy to stop them picking up quite as much radiated heat.

theshortwayround wrote:
Is the Rover T&T? If so, how much?

No tax, no test. On ebay for £170, which just about covers the new battery, radiator, valves, gaskets, exhaust and clutch (Most of which are in the boot, not fitted).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 5:48 am

should be a awsome machine by the time we get to landy rally

enjoy

kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 6:43 am

kieran wrote:
should be a awsome machine by the time we get to landy rally

Had a good productive hour yesterday... After failing to get one of the core plugs in on Friday evening, I decided to adapt a pneumatic chisel to take 3/8th sockets - managed to get the 2nd one near the injectors in in about a second, and the one behind the turbo only took a minute (without removing any parts).

I made an expanding plug for the back, from a big, thick, rubber washer, 2 stainless penny washers and a bolt, and that went in with only a small amount of swearing.

Pressure tested it (Kinda) with a tyre inflator to 1/2 bar, and two of the plugs were weeping slightly.

Went to Halfords this morning to get a bottle of Rad Weld, as I figured that would seal the new plugs in nicely. All was going well, until I turned the engine off in Halfords car park, and the incredible growing rubber core plug blew out. Mad

I have a nasty feeling I'll need to take the engine out, or drill a big hole in the firewall to refit it from inside...

Oh, the joys of second hand cars..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 10:32 am

2 steps forwards one step back Shocked

i know the feeling,
bloody electronics, spent a week with no power plug or hazard warning lights as they are on same fuse, i go a new fuse and the hazards started working again, but not the plug, then the wipers stopped working Crying or Very sad luckly it was just a bad connection, but still no plug scratch

still no new tyre nither affraid

scratch scratch scratch scratch

ahhh well i might just go eat cold baked bean n cheese, cant get anything wrong with that

kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Hrmm... Someone's offered me £100 for the rover without the spares. That covers the new exhaust and battery it's got on it scratch

Idea

Wonder if they'd do £100 if it had an old battery and no alternator...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 12:47 pm

ill have the new battery Laughing

sounds abit of a cheap price scratch
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 12:56 pm

kieran wrote:
ill have the new battery

To you, £120 quid. Comes with a free car, just needs an alternator.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 4:26 pm

does it have working winscreen wipers?

got in pinky to come home from the pub quiz and wipers stopped in middle of winscreen un moveable :suspect:
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:32 am

Have you still not got those electrics sorted yet Kieren!?!?!?!?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 5:12 am

things were going really well for quite along time, even managed to get the LED's on the roof rack all working and good,

now the troubles are back, i have a unfortunate feeling about the fuse board,

thats the only thing i can think of that could be causing the problems all the connections at the back look very very scarey and corroded, my biggest fear with messing with that is that all of the wires are purple scratch and its very compact with wires there, it is going to need sorting before the land rally

its yet another job to add to my lengthening list of things to do in summer after exams affraid

i had origionally planned to work all summer to pay off the debt to my dad and get some money for fuel and uni, ahh well thats why we own land rovers isnt it?
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:12 pm

His electrics have never been more sorted. Every bit works ..... individually its just not posible to have every appliance working simultaneously - the wipers work but the socket doesn't or the socket works and the hazards don't and so on. The problem I think is the two fuse panels or more particularly the connections at the back. If you get your finger round and wiggle things start to work but after a while they randomly stop. When the weather warms up and I have got a bit more time we will have a proper look. Any suggestion on replacement fuse panels ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Keith Johnson wrote:
Any suggestion on replacement fuse panels ?

VWP!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:53 pm

kieran wrote:
things were going really well for quite along time, even managed to get the LED's on the roof rack all working and good

...then he went and wired in a new radio...
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 2:04 pm

andybloke wrote:
I have a nasty feeling I'll need to take the engine out, or drill a big hole in the firewall to refit it from inside...

Fixed it!

A little smear of Red gasket compound to hold the plug in place, a 22mm socket in the plug, a 16mm spark plug socket gaffer taped to the firewall, a short strip of 8mm thick stainless and the pneumatic chisel.
Spark plug socket as a pivot, other socket as a drift, stainless as a lever to get around the end of the engine. Fuel and vac pipes had to come out, but it's all sorted now.

Been for a trip around the village and up to Otley Moor - cooling system (and heater) all working just fine!

Todays new fault - after fixing the wiring for the electric fan, when I turned it on, another section of wiring promptly burned out. (Ironically, the wire from the 10A fuse that's supposed to protect the wire...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally have a landy!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next