Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Finally have a landy!

Go down 
+9
theshortwayround
Sylvia Johnson
bofa bill
LuckyTrucker
Badger
VentureOverland
Tom Mc
Keith Johnson
andybloke
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 11:22 am

yeah it may be but 9 out of ten times its the solution to every landy problem including faulty wiring Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:39 pm

When we arrived at Lac Rose - the finishing point of the Paris-Dakar - despite the Rangie having two gas shocks per corner and heavy duty springs made to our own specification with twice as much poundage and one inch shorter, the poor ol' girl was still bouncing around like a Citroen 2CV. All eight of the Monroe Gas Magnum shocks (new of course at the outset) had blown and it was quite literally bouncing along solely on the coils. Made for interesting cornering I can tell you!

Moral of the story - I realise you won't be tackling 7,500 gruelling vehicle-breaking miles in 20 days as we did, but if you have h/d springs fitted losing a shock absorber isn't the end of the world. It will only really affect the handling and be dangerous if you are travelling at high speed on or off-road, but in our case it really is but a minor hiccup.

By the way folks, carry a spare shock by all means, but if in the unlikely event you do have a shock blow en route, there are enough independent Land Rover/4x4 dealers around to purchase either a secondhand or a new replacement ... plus we have the lads ready, willing and very able to fit them for you. The recovery/mechanic lads we have this year are first class, so rest assured any lack of mechanical knowledge on your part will be more than offset by their knowledge and expertise - that's handy eh Kieran? Twisted Evil Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Quote :
that's handy eh Kieran

so i have a pitch next to them pre booked? Laughing
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:31 pm

kieran wrote:
so i have a pitch next to them pre booked? Laughing

Only if you break down somewhere with decent facilities and a bar lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Not only that, I've got a fire extinguisher company sponsoring Landy Rally this year especially with you in mind. They are called "Monster Sprinklers", only I hope you won't need their services in the early hours after a typical LR party!!! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:39 pm

ive fitted a fire proof safe device, what it is is that when it catches on fire the hand brake releases and it rolls into the lake and bingo fire out can carry on happily ever the week
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Pam tells me that Kierans little sprinkler aint worth yakin aboot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:52 pm

lol!

She's right! Razz
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:56 pm

bofa bill wrote:
Pam tells me that Kierans little sprinkler aint worth yakin aboot.

That makes much more sense after the edit...

Dunno about his sprinkler, but after a few pints of Strongbow he can puke like a firehose affraid
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:59 pm

who translated ma post?

aye, ahve sen him sat on the kerb wishin he was deed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 pm

I think the boss may be getting a bit upset at the number of things being delivered to work for me ....
But on the plus side, I've got a new (working) welder, welding wire, 25 foot of brake line, more welding wire, brake flare tool, 2 new disco sills, thermostat, brake line nuts, a wireless media player for the kitchen, serial analyser, National Treasure 2 on Blu Ray, and some electronic bits arrived since the weekend.... and a big pile of packaging under my desk, because they all came in seperate boxes!

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll hopefully get some of the non-electronic bits on the landy!
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Just about ready for another go at this MoT thing.

Front offside seatbelt was bolted to bitumen underseal only, which the MoT guy didn't spot - fixed that.
Fitted 2 new sills, large metal plates and box section reinforcements to the front seatbelt mounts.
Rear seatbelt points failed the last MoT, so I've thrown away 2/3rd of the back seat, welded both pillars up and added mounts for front 3pt harnesses.
Replaced the rear bicycle pumps with DeCarbon shocks.
Replaced the offside brake lines......

Now I find both rear hubs are leaking oil over the brakes Crying or Very sad

A can of industrial solvent will get it past the brake test, but how difficult's that to fix?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:56 am

just the seal i am lead to beleave which on the rear is really simple, take it apart untill the inner seal is reached, replace seal, regrease bearings and put back togather,

im hoping there abit like the front ones as my rear drivers side is leaking quite quick now

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 am

For the extra few quid, is it worth replacing the bearings while it's in bits? I'm assuming it's better to go for the Timken OE one rather than the paddocks cheapo one too...

MoT's booked for Monday morning! Hopefully nothing else has gone wrong in the last 6 miles! pale
Back to top Go down
VentureOverland

VentureOverland

Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:11 am

andybloke wrote:
For the extra few quid, is it worth replacing the bearings while it's in bits? I'm assuming it's better to go for the Timken OE one rather than the paddocks cheapo one too...

MoT's booked for Monday morning! Hopefully nothing else has gone wrong in the last 6 miles! pale

Defo replace the bearings and seals all at once... Use OE parts.

You'll probably find you need new pads as well... You'll never get all the oil out of the pad and so it'll affect the how you stop.. Proably find it'll drag sharply to one side (i.e. that with least lubricant between disc and pad!!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ventureoverland.com
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 2:50 am

Just took the sump off .... no water in there, only debris was a piece of the breather oil seperator. cheers
Amazingly easy to get off .... no jubilee clip on the breather drain, and only 3 of the bolts were tight. All the other bolts weren't even finger tight and could be removed with only a socket and extension bar, and there was no gasket compound or sealing putty on the join.
Explains the oil leaks!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 3:44 am

You mean it now won't leak oil? affraid

It ain't a Land Rover! No
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:44 pm

The only time I put a spanner on the rally last year was in Andora when the T box stopped leaking oil. Topped the oil up, it started leaking again. Result cheers I still have'nt done the seal. Am I bovvered
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Quite right, that's the 'Land Rover' way! cheers
Back to top Go down
Lu and Tweedie

Lu and Tweedie

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 8:04 am

andybloke wrote:

Did it pass?

Lu :bom:
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/tntlandyrallyteam
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 9:22 am

Best of luck. All it cost me was a bone for the MOT man's Guide Dog for the Blind. Laughing Seriously though, I am not happy if the MOT man does not give it proper going over. Last time it was all good, but he did say that it will be a pity when that side light goes out just as you get out of the door. Rolling Eyes Now that's what I call a proper MOT. All the wheels turned and stopped when they should. Not too much ferrous oxide, not too much hanging off,and the black round things on the wheels, not too many cuts. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 11:18 am

it did pass, congradulations andy b cheers cheers

im not entirly sure mot people give the cars a full check over, this weekend i have managed to fit a full hammer head right through one of the out riggers cheers

how often would anyone say clean out the sump?

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 2:41 am

Considering the state the engine was in when I got it, I decided to take the sump off and check that while I was doing the oil change anyway ... and the MoT guy stopped part way through the inspection to get a hat because it was raining oil into the inspection pit! (He did do a fairly good inspection ... I was certainly quite worried, as he did a better inspection than I did!)

It's still leaking oil, and still smells like a landy ... just a lot less oil than before. Turbo drain, dipstick seal, gearbox, transfer box, oil cooler and rear hubs still leaving their mark on the driveway .... but I don't need to park over a bucket any more.

Shiney new radiator in, sludge from the water jacket out, and a level switch added to the header tank yesterday so I'll have a warning if another core plug goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally have a landy!   Finally have a landy! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally have a landy!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4