Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The short way round

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

The short way round Empty
PostSubject: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 10:00 am

Well, our trusty steed for this jolly jape is my rather well trodden 300Tdi Disco, dressed in still reasonable black, she has covered in the region of 260,000 miles!

Used to belong to the manager of Pink Floyd, back when it was a complete road standard ES Discovery.

Since being owned by me, she's had -

Another Gearbox!
Steering and diff guards
Snorkle + Raised Breathers
Roof mounted Spots
Winch Bumper
Winch
HD Rear bumper (thanks to Earley Glass for the rear ender resulting in their insurance paying for the new rear bumper and nice new back door!)
Load guard with work lights
Jate Rings at the rear
Heavy duty Jump start/power sockets front and rear
and a few other surprise extras!

Hopefully a few other bits and bobs between now and september, also planning on getting the AC fixed! sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Party, Flashing lights and a Disco! :afro:
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2007 8:11 pm

Sounds well sorted. With that milage a LR gearbox every now and then sounds reasonable. Mine has done 210.000 on the same gearbox affraid It will let go one day I just hope it isn't at the most inoppertune moment.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 9:12 am

wow, that is high milage for a 1st gearbox!
Mine was changed at 80,000 (as per Land Rover reccommendation) as it was Land Rover main dealer serviced by the first owner, then i fitted a 3rd one last year as syncro had failed on 2nd, and reverse was being really sticky, so only time left!!
Fingers crossed yours will carry on, at least until agfter September!! if not, i reccomend those nice people at Ashcrofts!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 1:41 pm

I second that reccomendation for Ashcroft Transmissions – not only do they really know their stuff, they are thoroughly nice folk to boot!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 3:27 pm

Sounds like you've had good experiences following bad gear box experiences too Tom!

By the way, where's your bit in here?? i know your the organiser, but still part of the gang!! what're you driving etc?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Actually, I've been lucky over the years with gearboxes, probably because I have never had a vehicle long enough for it to develop transmission problems. I've had a high turn over so always seemed to buy a good 'un or dispose of a bad 'un in time.

As for Ian Ashcroft (Senior), I’ve known him since the mid-80’s and during that time I have never, ever heard a bad word said about him. This is something special for a business I might add, as bad news always travels ten times faster than good news. I also know that man is a real engineer, hence I’d willingly recommend Ashcroft’s.

As for what I’m driving, I have a cunning plan. As it happens I recently acquired a vehicle, but I’m not saying what at the moment as I still have a few things to do to it before unleashing it on the world! Will let you know in due course. I’ll give you a clue though … it’s made by Land Rover.Wink
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 3:56 pm

Sounds intreguing! still, at least it's Land rover!

Will look forward to hearing more about it when it's ready!

Agree with good news bad news etc, also never heard a wrong word against ashcrofts, i had a small problem with my latest box, and there was nothing they couldn't do for me to help.
usually know of at least a few probs with places, garages etc, but not these guys.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 4:48 pm

BTW, your website's starting to take shape - Richard's done a good job. I'll ask Badger (my right-hand man who set up this Landy Rally site) to add a link to www.theshortwayround.co.uk
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi there, I must admit I was leaning towards Ashcrofts, the clutch I think is on it's way out so I thought I would take it to Ashcrofts, let them do the clutch and decide on whether it is worth putting the same gearbox back in. I know they will always err on the side of caution but as we still have a little time to go we will decide then.
I have LR history on the car until 170,000 miles and I have know it since then and no gear box Shocked Does this mean that the LT77 is better than the R380 :?:
Plenty of heavy towing and off roading to do before September so plenty of time for it to fail Sad
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 2:58 am

The one to get is the LT85 - the Santana box - only you won't (unless you've very lucky) as these is as rare as rocking horse's do dah. Basically it's the bullet-proof box that all the Comp Safari lads like to use when racing, hence they are snapped up as soon as one becomes available.

Start hunting!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 6:23 am

New Tyres arrived today courtesy of CarCarC for donating them, and my Dad for going to pick them up!!

5x BF Goodridge Mud's, 235/85R16, bring it on!!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 4:00 am

Just taking a moment to introduce yet another local sponsor for our team, Kenlowe have very kindly offered us a replacement high power electric fan for the disco.

On seeing Tom's post about overheating, and extream temperatures, really happy about this one, fingers crossed for a nice cool drive!
-just need to air con fixed now Mad

:arrow:
Back to top Go down
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi there, I'm going to trust the LR cooling system, I say trust :| recently I have fitted a new thermostat, viscous coupling and radiator, so it had beter not overheat now Embarassed I had been having problems when towing a 3 ton trailer, fortunatly it never boiled just got a bit warm, so no damage done. Recently took a car trailer down to Lewes, Sussex. Long hills on M25/M23, throttle pedal flat to the floor in third gear mile after mile and gauge just in the middle. So the Alps and Pyrenees can throw what they like at us and I will be confident it won't boil, definatley, maybe, I hope.
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Well, after a very succesful weekend, with only a small trip to CHallenger 4x4 for a pair of replacement front turrets, we have now fitted the 2" Lift, and fitted the new bigger tyres! cheers

Having some trouble this week getting sponsor logo's in the right format for the graphics company to print for us, but hopefully getting that sorted in the next day or so.

Still got the Kenlowe to fit, and hoping the new hyclones will arrive soon so they can be fitted as well. The roof rack is almost finished, light mounts are down, although i need it without lights on in mid August for the BAJA GB Rally in Wales, so work halted on that projest for a while. Sleep

Fingers crossed and touching as much wood as is really healthy, nothing much has gone wrong yet, and we're hoping to test the camping equipment this weekend down in dorset somewhere. sunny sunny

So much to do, so little time!

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 4:21 pm

Providing it's seperate from a vehicle, got some grass out the back here in sunny Bournemouth ... pitch away!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 9:16 am

hmmm now theres a thought! we've not been able to book it, just have a turn up and pray with the campsite, so if we get stuck, we'll give you a ring!!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 4:02 am

did a little playing in the woods this weekend, not lots of work, but did get to trial the new springs and tyres well.

The short way round Img1315-47js1ek17

Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 4:31 am

Just found the photo's of the spring change, not a bad job really!

Old
The short way round Dscf1010-47js8so31

New
The short way round Dscf1008-47js9evaj

a slight trim to body work, and hey presto, tyres fit!
The short way round Dscf1013-47js9yv3f

Although i did discover this weekend, that some more trimming is required at the rear, and i have a nie bent bit to show me where! when i checked the clearence when the axles where articulating, i forgot to allow for a heavy a load in the boot. when loaded, it changes (obvious really - Doh!) how it all moves, therefore, it went bang, and bent the wing, lucky for me only a little;. lesson lernt. has everyone else thats just done this checked this?

have fun!

Back to top Go down
CarpeDiem

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:47 am

Very nice photos! Smile
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Ok, broke something!

Driving the car today, went to flash headlights, and all of a sudden, the stalk oin the left side of the wheel will no longer go back or forward.

It still goes up and down to work indicators, and twists to turn on side lights and headlights, but won't budge for main beam.

--Not a major issue you say, live without main beam for a bit - IF ONLY!

I think the stalk has broken inside, just between where it selects main or dipped beam. Of course when you select main beam, dipped goes out as you can't have both filiments of a double filiment bulb on.

My problem is now i haven't got either main or dipped beam at all!!
had to drive home with roof spots and sidelights only, was interesting... pale

Panning on getting a new stalk ASAP, anyone know anything about doing this job?? scratch

RSVP Please ASAP! i have tomorrow (Monday) to do this job, then i'm on Nights for 4 days, so I really need to be legal :farao: and see my way to work!

Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:53 am

Thankfully have found a replacement, lets just hope it's not a big job!

This part for those interested, is part number STC 4017, and is £95+VAT as a genuine part, and no others are available.

My suggestion to any other owner of a 300Tdi is to find one from a breaker or doner, and keep it spare! i was lucky, Paul at Challenger 4x4, one of my Rally Sponsors has one spare!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 am

£95 affraid Shocked
wow thats expensive,

good luck fitting it

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Gotta say the Disco looks bare without your Land Rally stickers. At the very least, surprised you did retain the door stickers until the next event. No, not just bare ... POSITIVELY NAKED!!! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 pm

Ah but Tom, look at the dates....

Those are the before pictures, shiney and naked! (The car that is, i'm behind the camera so you can't see....! affraid !

It still has the stickers on now, and a fair bit of mud etc, didn't you notice at oxley? i know i was only there for about half an hour but!

Are you about at home this weekend? only the Sunseeker Rally is on, and i'm down with the Rescue unit if you're about?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The short way round   The short way round Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The short way round
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next