Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

pinky

Go down 
+5
CarpeDiem
theshortwayround
Keith Johnson
batfink
Tom Mc
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

pinky Empty
PostSubject: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2007 4:03 pm

our team vehicle is nicknamed pinky because of the faded paintwork, has decent tyres for offroad, snorkel after close very close call with deep water in derbyshire, and best of all a 5 foot bouncy aerial. im 16 years old and this will be my first car Laughing
cant wait till april
kieran
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 11:56 am

Kieran, you didn't mention what model vehicle Pinky is - 90, 110, 130, RR P38, Disco, Freelander, 101FC, Series I/II/III, 6x6 RR Classic Carmichael Fire Engine, etc. ?????

AND

You relying on dad (or mum even) if you have mechanical problems en route, or are you competent with what goes on under the bonnet?
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 7:46 am

its a 90,
for the mechanical work my dad has the brains and i do the dirty work, i have alot to learn about the landrover but i do know some things so far
kieran Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 9:14 am

Well, we all have to learn and getting dirty yourself is definitely the best way.

Always remember as a teenager I made a massive cock-up which proved very expensive indeed. I bought a RR Classic with a seized engine, so fitted a replacement V8 with the help of a friend (a mechanic) who was working on his own Landy alongside me. This way he could guide me but I did virtually all the work myself.

When the V8 was installed he asked, “I gather you’ve done the water and oil?”

“Yes” I replied, so he said “Let’s turn it over”.

Amazingly I started first turn of the key! Brilliant I thought. Leaving it running to reach temperature before taking it for a road run, we carried on working on his vehicle. Minutes later there was a horrible screeching sound as the motor suddenly stopped dead. It was dead alright – it had seized!

My mate immediately looked at the temperature gauge, sure enough it was right up in the red. He again asked, “You did fill it up with water didn’t you?”

“Yes, of course I did. I filled it here”. I was pointing to the filler cap on the little header tank (the one that says DO NOT REMOVE WHEN HOT).

“You idiot” was his reply, “You’re supposed to fill the radiator first, then the header tank – not just the header tank!”

That explains why the cooling system only accepted about 3 pints rather than a couple of gallons or whatever it’s supposed to be, and why the darn thing boiled up and seized so quickly. Apparently you are meant to fill the radiator by unscrewing the brass plug at the top, then, fill up the header tank, start the engine and simply top it up after it’s reach running temperature. WHAT A PLONKER!!!

They say you learn by your mistakes, I learnt the hard way by having to fork out for yet another V8, PLUS remove it from a donor vehicle some 40 miles from home (making it an 80 mile round trip), PLUS remove the motor I had just seized, PLUS fit the new one. I'll never make that mistake again!!!
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 11:04 am

ooooooo i hope i never do that !
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 8:24 pm

You'll remember that one now I've mentioned it, but bet you do something equally as daft - we all do! That's life.

Ask your dad, if he's honest he'll tell you his disaster ... then you can tell us Smile
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 9:29 am

ill take that as a challenge Wink
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-20

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2007 1:26 pm

[/i]i am a beginer too so your not alone this is my first landy and a fine find it was to. he is a def 90 2.5 die n/a. and this will hopefully be my first rally what a challenge Very Happy
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 3:35 pm

hello batfink,
nice to no were not the only team that are new to landys and our first rally, does yours have a name yet?
kieran
Back to top Go down
batfink

batfink

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-03-20

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 4:06 pm

kieran wrote:
hello batfink,
nice to no were not the only team that are new to landys and our first rally, does yours have a name yet?
kieran
:arrow: When I took a friend to help me pull it from the field it was in. He noticed the number plate and called it barnby and so it became a he. Normaly my vehicles are she’s but hay ho. I have posted a thread about barnbys history witch explains a bit.
Back to top Go down
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Clumsy mechanic   pinky Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 11:20 am

I've just seen the post by Tom Mc about not putting water into a rebuilt engine and suggesting to Kieran that I might have done something as daft. Sadly I have done many things at least as bad. I have done the "lets just put the wheels on quick and tighten them up later" trick. Once driving about half a mile thinking the old girls going like clockwork but I don't remember that ticking .....

Maybe worse than that was one day deciding to replace the rocker cover gaskets on a Ford V6 Granada the afternoon before having to drive to Devon for work. I had the screwdriver in one hand the extracted screws in the other and without putting either down attempted to lift off a cover. I am just as good a juggler as a mechanic and dropped a screw down an oilway into the central bit of the engine. Getting it out again would have been easy if I could have tipped the car upside down and shaken it. Instead I spent hours with a long bit of bent wire fishing it out. That was the last time I worked on a car I use for work. I use more of the Queens English as a result and my back is just about better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 3:14 pm

hello,
we have just bought a very expensive steering guard and a very expensive second hand rear door for pinky Guess how much?

FREEE!!

we have also fitted the roof rack we bought from Steve from "The short way round" and was deliverd by chalky from "camel adventures" ...

the steering guard

pinky Steering%20guard

my brother photoed the delivery of the roof rack ...

pinky Camel%201

the roof rack fitted perfect but dont have any pictures up to yet, thankyou to steve and chalky cheers

Kieran

affraid Monstar
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 6:37 pm

Ah, feel so proud. Teams working in perfect harmony and it's only May ... still months away from the actual event! It gets you right there. Sad
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2007-04-26

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 5:54 am

that second pic is crying out for a cpation competition!!!

Chalky - "does my bum look big on this?"

All Looking good kieran, quick question, from previous experience, have you got a spreader plat behind your front tow ball?
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshortwayround.co.uk
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 7:15 am

CAPTION COMPETITION:

"Ay up, hear about that total eclipse of the sun over Mansfield t'other day?"
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 12:42 pm

he he lol

no we dont have a spreader plate
is this problem?
cheers kieran,
Monstar affraid
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 3:23 pm

You, you'll just have a mangled bumper, but it could be even a worse problem for the poor unfortunate towing you. A quick story to emphasise the point:-

Many moons ago in the early 80's there appeared a photo in All Wheel Driver (the All Wheel Drive Club's glossy monthly magazine) of a Range Rover Classic that had just towed someone out of a bog. Taken from the rear the photo showed a smashed back window, a broken passenger headrest and a smashed front windscreen. It appears the towball attached to the front bumper of the 4x4 being towed, had ripped itself off said bumper and complete with towing rope still attached had catapaulted itself right through the rear tailgate window, passenger headrest and windscreen of the towing vehicle!!!!!!!!! Fortunately nobody was in the passenger seat at the time or else as the spectators said, "it would have taken the co-driver's head clean off!"

Yes, a spreader plate is an extremely good idea!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 4:04 pm

yeah, Tom said it all really, i knew of the same thing a couple of years ago with the all wet and dirty club (AWDC) when during a kinetic recovery, the same thing happened, and the tow point passed through rear screen, dog guard, and front screen narrowly missing both front seat occupants. pale silent affraid

If you like i'll send you some pictures of the holes on my series where the previous owner had a tow ball with no spreader, and it made a mess, nothing major though. pirat

Also if you like, Janet is coming up to Nottingham at the weekend, i've got one spare kicking around in the garage, so for a small donation, she'll drop it in to you. Will have to be bank holiday monday though.
Unfortunatly we're not really close enough to Kent for your other bit, also not sure a bullbar will fit in the new Astra!!! scratch
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 9:24 am

eeeeek lol

yh if you wouldnt mind i think having one of those would be a good idea lol cheers, evan though on most recoverys i would use the towing eye things on the steering guard but its always the one time lol

can i have a look at those photos

thanks kieran

Monstar affraid
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 9:49 am

Ok mate, don't have photo's at present, but will take some next time i'm over that way with the series.

Give me a ring later on, maybe about 9ish best, and will sort out with you address etc for Janet to drop off the spreader plate.

Think you have my numbe, but if not, will PM you with it.

Steve
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: new tyres and rims   pinky Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 5:34 am

wow new tyres and rims make so much differance:

old wheels:
pinky Pinky%201

new wheels:
pinky Dscf0510

the name for the landy is now pinky twist like that fosters twist but its pinky with a twist Laughing

affraid Monstar
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 5:46 am

Looks really good mate!! How bad is your oil leak to have that nice big yellow tub there??

BTW Janet should be with you some time this afternoon with the spreader plate for you!

Just remember to stick a big note on it, NOT for Recovery, Trailers only!!!

Like the camper/RV bus in the background!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 6:13 am

Remember - Land Rovers don’t leak oil, they mark their territory!
Back to top Go down
theshortwayround

theshortwayround

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 12:52 pm

Kieran,

You got that spreader plate fitted yet them??
Back to top Go down

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 11:59 am

hello,
many thanks for the spreader plate no its not fitted yet but will be soon, many many many thanks for it and the roof rack i feel we owe you a couple of drinks Laughing
as janet will probly tell you i was like one of those zombees off sean of the dead when i answerd the door i was in a world of my own (not unusual for me)
the oil leak has always been there it drips occasionally out of the transmission, it never seems to affect the oil level, i think most lnadrovers leak here Laughing

the chevy van in the back ground is my dads project, its really nice with arm chairs inside and a V8.

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

pinky Empty
PostSubject: Re: pinky   pinky Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pinky
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next