Landy Rally
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landy Rally

European 4x4 Charity Drive

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

its time, bulkhead

Go down 
+10
LuckyTrucker
Monstar - Sylvia
nat_hale
VentureOverland
The Lamb Chops
andybloke
Bling 'n' well up 4 it
Tom Mc
bofa bill
Crazy~Johno
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage

its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 5:02 pm

cheers lucky and all of TV4x4

well i now think i know what went wrong, it appears it may have been a fault on our part, after a lengthy chat with dom the land rover god!
apparently the white plastic ring in the centre of the seal isnt just packaging as we thought, this ring is to align the seal into position, we didnt use it

as proven may times friends that know what they talk about are invaluable

THANKS DOM!!!

now just gotta see if this was actually the problem

wish us luck

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Keep going there K, you've taken on a massive task and 10 out of 10 for your efforts..not something I would fancy tackling pale - wel done for getting it back together.
You'll get there in time for Calais cheers

D
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 2:36 pm

i polished my big red button today because you said it adds more power Nat Laughing

i had to work today to earn some sort of money, but i did get the brake lights and side lights fully functioning cheers,
ive got a plan for the crank shaft seal, ill be stripping everything like floor, prop shafts and exaust off tomorrow while finnishing the dash board and finnishing the elctronics as best i can for now, we will be attacking the crank shaft on saturday morning hopefully to be done in time for about 1 or 2 in time for a cuppa then pack my bags and shoot off to rochdale for a test drive as i think i should have at least one before we set off to calais
we shall see how things play out on saturday

so hows it looking?
before ....
its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Dscf0711
after ...
its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Dscf1033
its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Dscf1034
Back to top Go down
Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Bling 'n' well up 4 it

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:02 pm

kieran wrote:

so hows it looking?

Looking good K, at least it looks like a Landy again!! cheers cheers cheers
D
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chas.com
LuckyTrucker

LuckyTrucker

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 3:27 pm

Congratulations, best of luck on your trip to Rochdale.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tv4x4.co.uk
Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Weekend update   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 2:19 am

I thought I would provide an update for theose watching Kierans progress. Yesterday saw us take the gearbox out and inspect the new oilseal we put in last week. We found it had a fairly deep score on the outside which matched a a small gouge on the corresponding surface of the gearbox face. It looked like the drill may have slipped when I drilled into the original seal to use a screw to extract it - fortunately we still had the old one and my reputation is intact. The seal also seemed to have moved away from the fully inserted postion.

Before putting the next new one in we carefully cleaned the mating sufaces and used the plastic locating ring as we should have done first time. All this is easier in daylight - last time it was about 11:00pm.

Rather than doing a complete reassembly we just put the flywheel back on and started the engine. After 15 mins of running NO LEAK cheers . Lots of back slapping and tea all round. We then turned the engine off and immediately there was a significant dribble of oil affraid At this point our great leader Tom arrives to give inspiration - words of wisdom were exchanged. I think more beer was suggested !

We repeated the engine run and stop and check several times and each time it was dry while running and dribbled just as we turned it off. Kieran is as gobsmacked as the rest of us by this so we despatched him and Tom to Rochdale (I think the idea was to emulate Jesus going into the wilderness for inspiration)

After much humming and harring and starting and stopping the engine we noticed that the dribble symptom was reducing. So much so that eventually we ran it for 20 mins and only one small drop appeared. Bereft of any better ideas we decided to put the gearbox back in and connect the wading plug to a coke bottle or similar to monitor any subsequent loss.

We are hoping that what we saw was the seal "moulding itself in" not something that either I or Steve (from Mud club) had seen before. By the time Kieran gets back later today Pinky should be mobile again. I hope so anyway since I have a wheel bearing to replace on Lenny before the rally - but thats another story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.johnsonhq.net
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 3:05 am

Keith Johnson wrote:
After much humming and harring and starting and stopping the engine we noticed that the dribble symptom was reducing.

I've seen that before. You've run out of oil Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 4:34 am

sounds like Pam and I.

or am I going off track again? :rabbit:
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 12:29 pm

yes

it would appear that i owe quite a few people a hell of alot of thanks !!!!

THANKS DAD AND STEVE
Back to top Go down
andybloke
Admin
andybloke

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 5:56 pm

kieran wrote:

it would appear that i owe quite a few people a hell of alot of thanks !!!!
THANKS DAD AND STEVE

Which one is the few, Keith or Steve? Just need to check which of those five I need to keep my eye on Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.chernobylrally.org
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

Number of posts : 3925
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Forgot to thank me for the inspiration. Laughing

BTW, spoke to TCE tonight and he reckons the oil breather could be blocked/not breathing properly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:56 am

by the oil breather do you mean the black cylindrical item on the side of the engine?
if so, after last years rally when i had the leaks and starting problems we looked at that at abingdon last year ( cheers andybloke ) and we checked it saturday morning with steve and it was breathing as it should scratch
i spose it wouldnt harm to get a new one

sorry andy, THANKS TO ALL FIVE WHO HELPED Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Lamb Chops

The Lamb Chops

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 2:48 pm

The black breather pot on the side of the engine has a diaphram in it and what have you. Can PM you the instructions for testing if you want, but to be honest if you suspect it, chuck it and get another. Changed on on SWMBOs 200 tdi a couple of months ago as i started chucking a bit of oil into the inlet for no apparent reason (attention seeking I think)....... scratch
Back to top Go down
bofa bill

bofa bill

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm

I also replied 'K'

commando wills
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 3:50 pm

cheers for the input rampant rabit wills Razz

im heading past paddocks tomorrow for a long test drive so i will pick one up and fit it in their car park, that'll impress them im sure

it finally feels like things are heading towards the start line,

ONLY 6 SLEEPS FOR US TO GO pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 5:06 pm

YAY a successful test drive at last, ok the passenger winscreen wiper fell off on route, and when hitting the flooded bit of road at 50mph the couple of empty bolt holes in the floor turned into a water fountain and washed my legs and face, and on the way back the roof lining fell out and i had a temporary black out due to water fountain floor landing in the fuse panel, but it felt and sounded mechanically sound, the gear knob also came off in my hands, as for oil leaks i havnt dared look but when dry tomorrow i will have a prod around and see whats leaking and where from

FAO STU ( LAMBY CHOPPERS ) do you have a spare gear knob?

and my old sponsor stickers are gone with most of the paint Laughing

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
Crazy~Johno

Crazy~Johno

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:44 am

and the steering wheel is on at a random angle making it very interesting to drive Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/rally-monstars

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:27 pm

right i feel this is finally over,
THANKYOU very much one and all for all the help and advice given we shall see how it holds up in a couple of days

just one oil leak left now and thats because the gasket selant around the gear stick holder is poo, but that can be sorted easily enough,
for team secretism reasons i cannot show any pictures of the end product

CHEERS cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Over eh? Never over mate, it's a Land Rover! Twisted Evil

Did you realise your thread has hit a thousand views? Ahhhhh, seems we all like a trier, and you are certainly that kieran. Razz Razz Razz

Nh, glad it's finally all come together - quite literally. GOOD EFFORT ONE AND ALL! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 pm

its not over untill the fat lady sings Laughing affraid
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Organiser
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:56 pm

Let's hope she remains dormant, reckon the Johnsons (and Steve the Welder from Mud Club) all deserve a bit of time off for good behaviour
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: its time, bulkhead   its time, bulkhead - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

its time, bulkhead
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6